Friday, June 4, 2010

REVIEW: Wings - Aprilynne Pike


Wings - Aprilynne Pike
Pages: 294

Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.


Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.


In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever. - goodreads.com

Dear Readers of this blog,

I am apologizing for my complete lack of updates and disappearance. I've started working this summer and I always feel like I have no time. This is not an excuse. But I will update on time from now on. I swear.

Whew. That's outta the way.

This book is featured over at Book Bloggers, run by Ace and Eliza, and this was their book of the month in May. (:

So Wings by Aprilynne Pike is a twist on faeries. Instead of pixies and the sprite-like creatures we're used to, faeries are portrayed as plants! If it's not obvious by the above description, Laurel grows a bud on her back and subsequently finds out her true identity. She battles against insecurities, love of two boys, trolls, and even herself.

I found this book to be pretty passable. I wasn't very pleased with the first 75 pages or so. I felt like the real point was being dragged out until it felt like a good page number to reveal anything good. When something finally did happen though, it was quite exciting. It was putting a spin on reality and magic.

I like the way Laurel's real life was balanced with her faerie life. She has all sorts of weird quirks, including her appetite. The girl barely ever eats! I'm not sure that sets the right example here. :P

Anyways, I LOVE both of the boys in this book. David is the boy Laurel makes fast friends with at school, and he's shy and awkward, but he is so so so sweet. And then there's Tamani. He's somewhat of a long lost friend to Laurel. She doesn't know him too well, but she feels like she does. Tamani is super protective of her and he would sacrifice anything for her well being.

I loved the whole romance part of this book because it was actually rather believable. I mean, how do you choose between an awesome school friend who is sweet and caring and a boy you've known forever and would do anything for you?

I personally rooted for David. :P

This book was good. I really did enjoy it. It started off slow, which irked me, but when action did happen, I gladly forgot about the beginning. I'm working on getting my hands on the next one, Spells.

RATING: 7.5 of 10

until next time(on time!),

Addy

5 comments:

  1. Addy!! hey chick how you bin :)i felt it was a fast decent read overall, ps i emailed you a while back didn't you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the whole fast read thing. haha But I did find it decent. (:
    Hmmm. Maybe I did. Uhm, i haven't checked it much lately, although its possible that I overlooked it?
    I'll send you a reply ASAP. Sorry I didn't get to it sooner.
    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that you actually read it! In my opinion Spells was better, but it took you longer to get in to. I still really like how she put a spin on faeries. Thanks for reading it(: We really appreciate it. I am reading The Last Song with another group of people. Hope you are having a good summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Addy and Harry! I really love that you two do a joint blog. Wish my guy friends liked to read :P I just bought Wings so I'm glad that you liked it Addy. I've gotten pretty positive reviews so far so I'm hoping I'll just love it.

    I am so going to kill Aly for not introducing me to you guys earlier. Lol. And I absolutely love your title too. So creative! ^.^ Major props guys!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog