Tuesday, June 29, 2010

REVIEW: Wild Magic - Tamora Pierce


Wild Magic - Tamora Pierce

Pages: 384

Young Daine's knack with horses gets her a job helping the royal horsemistress drive a herd of ponies to Tortall. Soon it becomes clear that Daine's talent, as much as she struggles to hide it, is downright magical. Horses and other animals not only obey, but listen to her words. Daine, though, will have to learn to trust humans before she can come to terms with her powers, her past, and herself. -goodreads.com
I've always been a pretty big fan of Mrs. Pierce. She has a lot of elements I've always liked, such as the whole medevil theme and fantasy elements. Female heroines are a plus. ;D
Daine is an outcast. Her family killed by bandits, she wanders the streets in search of work, with her family horse, Cloud.
When she stumbles upon a job involving ponies, she accepts and treks across the land into Tortall. While on the journey, her talents are displayed in the open. Possessing a gift with animals, they do anything and whatever she says, and protect her when she's in danger.
Daine meets good friends along the way and when push comes to shove, she is downright fierce. When everyone she knows is on the line, will she come through and save them all?
I really liked this book because it has a lot of elements I like, as explained. Tamora Pierce is a master story weaver and is very detailed. I always love the feeling of being right inside the book! Everything is vivid, and I swear I changed tempeture with the climate. ^^;;
Daine is going across the land with the new ponies, and they come across a bunch of hiccups on the way. Daine encounters Harpy-like monsters, as well as human-taratula demons. And they also meet up with her future teacher, Numair, who sounds smokin', by the way. :P
After that conundrum, my favorite part is when they arrive in the royal city. Everyone is pretty backwards in Tortall, lords and ladies are usually among their people, leading an honest life along the commoners.

There is a series before this, the Song of the Lioness Quartet, which involves the King's Champion, Alanna. I recommend that series as well, its just as good, if not better.
There are strong animal personalities as well. A nice addition to the book, which I really like.
It's third person and focuses the whole story on Daine.
I love Numair and Cloud. They are probs my fave characters.
Sorry for the shortish review! I'm pressed for time! D:
RATING: 9 of 10
until next time,
Addy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog