Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Review: Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater

Shiver - Maggie Stiefvater
Pages : 390

For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf—her wolf—is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human ... until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

Say hellow to this awesome book. Shiver was a great read, I must say. If you noticed, I did this here book for Kiss and Tell. I gave a good initial rating, I think. Maybe a step higher would have been good.

But anyways. Onwards.

First of all, I love werewolves. In general, I perfer their mythical-ness to other fictional races/being/etc.

Sam Roth is a werewolf. He was bitten and every winter, he becomes a wolf and in the summer he is human. Grace Bisbane was once attack by the pack of wolves Sam belonged to. She never knew him as anything but "her wolf," with his yellow eyes, who had saved her from being eaten alive by the wolf pack. Every winter, Grace observes the pack and her wolf. Then one winter comes around and everything changes.

I love animals. This book almost made me feel like these wolves were an endangered species. This is somewhat accurate, however, I should sawa the humanity most of the wolves had is what is scarce.

This is a love story between Sam and Grace. It was very touching and endearing; the two felt as if they had known each other their whole lives, which, is somewhat true. My only qualm is that the romance just jump-started into action. But it is somewhat understandable when you realize what the plot becomes.

Sam is my favorite character of them all. He's so sweet, and he's always looking out for Grace. Even as a wolf, he is always aware of her. He is shy and cute, always wanting to please his other half. Grace comes in as my second. She's so self-sufficient. It's almost like she was the man in the realationship! haha! :P

The plot was...confusing. I was very unsure of what the real intention of the author was. I'm still not quite sure. The climax, or what I think it to be, was indeed exciting, and probably the high point of the book. However, I just feel...let down after that. As if the ending had no real meaning. It was a great build up, and then PLOP. Nothing.

The "meat" of the plot was interesting though. Grace has and unexpected friendship with the most popular girl at school, and her best friend Olivia, is an interesting case. I'll let you figure that one out. :P

Overall, I would recommend this. I'm a sucker for wolves and love stories. :P

RATING: 8.5 of 10

Until Next Time,

Addy

3 comments:

  1. I started this book a while back when it came out and hated it. I really liked how every chapter it was in another person's opinion, but the lovey dovey stuff drove me nuts! I'm glad you liked it though

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, the more I think about it afterwards, I tend to think the loved-you-since-I-first-saw-you thing was annoying. It may take a reevaluation some day. XP
    Thanks for reading Ace! <3

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog